• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
      Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
      • Jun 2013
      • Palm Springs
      • I know nothing
      • Send PM

Pouncy seems to have too many negatives to me. I was hoping that Pulley's problems could be coached up in his third year. If that is unlikely, the draft for either a guard or center seems to make the best sense. With all of the quality centers in the draft more free agent centers should come available after the draft or maybe a trade then.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

I would rather draft a C too, only problem is you don't know what other teams will do, especially by the 2nd round. If it is a hole you feel you have to plug, unless you pick in the top couple of picks, the only way you KNOW you will get a guy to fill it, who will be up to speed with the NFL is with a FA.

I don't mind the idea of bringing him in, I just wouldn't be in a hurry to sign Pouncey. He is a very good player, so he could help.

But is he a good locker room guy? I would have a lot of questions about his time at FL, time with Hernandez and what went on with the Martin hazing thing.

Just because you bring a guy in doesn't mean you sign him. If he was so undeniably great, you wouldn't need to bring him in, you could just offer him a contract.

If we do decide to sign Pouncey, I am not sure I would just hand him the starting job. Maybe we get another OG in the draft, as a street FA or Pulley develops. Pouncey is a good, but you never want to let competition get in the way. The best guys have to play.

Right now, Lamp is the starting RG, Feeney the starting LG or C. We still need one more interior OL. We can bring back Slausson, but I would rather use him as a swing OG/C off the bench, rather than pencil him in as a starter. Schofield should be in the mix some, but I see him as a swing OT more than an OG (pushing Barkesdale?). I wouldn't mind resigning Hairston, who would fit in as a OT/OG swing guy. THen the usual collection of UDFA, and street guys, plus maybe late draft picks, but realistically they are going to push for depth, not starting jobs. If they could win a starting job great, I just wouldn't count on it.

We would still need a starting OG or C.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

They may not. 12 seems like a very high number. Plenty of guys drafted in the 1st round and labeled as day 1 starters are complete busts and never win a starting job, so it is a little risky to put that much faith in rookies. (If the ranking you are referencing are the overall draft grades, it usually means their overall potential - not a rookie year ranking, so even a pro bowl grade might not indicate a day 1 starter).

2nd, and probably more important, even if the OG is there, what if someone from our 1st round cluster is still around in the 2nd? Unless they are an interior OL, if we have forced ourselves to pass on them and have to take an interior OL because we need the starter.

I am pretty sure, based on past history, TT would rather grab a potential starter in a FA, and then not be forced into reaching for needs in the draft. IT may not be a very good starter as a FA, but someone who is at least OK.

The problem with Pouncey is that while he is the 2nd best C in FA, he is potentially a locker room cancer (see hazing thing with Incognito).
            Last edited by Steve; 03-17-2018, 11:08 PM.

Comment

• RTPbolt
              Charger Fan till the end
              • Jun 2013
              • North Carolina
              • Send PM

It all comes down to his interview and medical. I think he has talent but two pretty big flaws in his past for medical and involvement i Miamis mess. Im ok with a two year or one year type deal that protects us from medical and attitude...player incentives....just dont break the bank.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                BetterToday ThanYesterday
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

What I read was that Pouncey was actually a good locker room guy, a leader and a team captain. He did have the mess with Jonathan Martin and he should be ashamed of that. He also wore the stupid hat when Aaron Hernandez was arrested for murder. But it seemed he grew up after that?

TG
                Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

the other thing that bugs me is that he is pouting because Miami wouldn't give him a raise. He has 3 years left on his contract. Pouncey wasn't a FA until he asked for his release, which Miami granted.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • SoDak
                    • Technology Director
                    • Send PM

He may turn out great. But if I had a vote, I'd vote no.

no more signing or drafting injury risks on the OLine.
                    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Looking at Over the cap, there are relatively few decent OG and C left in FA. Those that do have some pretty obvious warts. Probably the best guy left is former Charger Jerimah Siriles, who we got a 6th rounder for a few years back. He is a solid, but not outstanding player. Not too old, and hasn't missed much time due to injuries. Also has not won a starting job for himself and plays/starts when he is filling in for injuries.

The best remaining players along with Pouncey are Luke Joeckel and Jack Mewhort and they are injured as much or more than Pouncey.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                        Charger Fan till the end
                        • Jun 2013
                        • North Carolina
                        • Send PM

Could draft another guard and sit until cuts start to nab someone. Im still ok with Pouncey for short term if health and attitude check out and if price is right.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                          BetterToday ThanYesterday
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          the other thing that bugs me is that he is pouting because Miami wouldn't give him a raise. He has 3 years left on his contract. Pouncey wasn't a FA until he asked for his release, which Miami granted.
                          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                          X